No one likes a loud generator when the power goes off. This article will take you through all the discussions you need to know about before selecting the quietest generator for you.
Choosing the best quietest generator is in no way an easy task and you have to consider several factors to select the best one. We have discussed some factors that will help you select the best one.
- Noise Level: When looking at the size of the generator, you need to consider the watts rating of the generator. You have to go for the generator that can offer ample power for your requirements.
- Power: One of the major concerns for any generator is the wattage ratings. For this, you need to calculate the power you require based on the operations you want to run with the generator.
- Running Time: For the run time, you should go between 9 hours to 12 hours so that you do not need to refill frequently after a few hours.
More details are elaborated on in the “Buying Guide” later in the article. In the next section, we have listed the best quietest generators with their most notable features and advantages, and drawbacks. Read on through all of them to choose your best one.
Best Quietest Generators Chart
Best Quietest Generators Reviews
The product comes with an RV-ready outlet with in-built USB ports and 2 20A household outlets, which is suitable for use in case of emergency backups or recreational activities.
The Westinghouse generators are known for their fuel efficiency and can run for 18 hours with a fuel capacity of 4 gallons. It is convenient with the push start button and remote control facility. The LED display provides all the information you need to know at the time.
With 3% THD, it is suitable for sensitive appliances. It is compact, lightweight and features a handle for easy portability.
- Noise Level: 52dBA
- Power: 4500 Watts
- Running Time: 18 hours
- Weight: 104.7 lbs
- Fuel-efficient generator.
- Suitable for sensitive appliances.
- Highly portable.
- LED display.
- Some people complained about the design.
It has an advanced CO detection technology which keeps the Carbon Monoxide levels. This enables auto shutdown if the Carbon Monoxide levels become dangerously high around the system.
It can be controlled through the remote or via the smartphone linked by the Bluetooth application. The app enables operation monitoring and wireless performance enhancement.
The generator is extremely lightweight and portable, making it easy to store and transport.
- Noise Level: 48 to 57 dBA
- Power: 2200 Watts
- Running Time: 8.1 hours
- Weight: 44 lbs
- Premium quality generator.
- Extremely low noise level.
- Wireless operation enabled.
- Highly portable.
- Some people had issues with the starting mechanism.
It has a noise level of 57 dBA, which is as quiet as the window air conditioner. This restricts the invasiveness while restoring power backup, tailgating, camping, and hunting.
This generator prevents blockages and build-up caused by stagnant fuel inside the inverter. It is ultra-efficient with a run time of 8.5 hours at 2.2 gallons tank. Also, it has several outlets with fuel and load displays.
It has a low-oil auto shutoff with indication lights and overload protection. You can maximise fuel efficiency with the low economy mode. The brand offers a 2-year warranty.
- Noise Level: 57 dBA
- Power: 3800 Watts
- Running Time: 8.5 hours
- Weight: 99.2 lbs
- Energy-free and clean of voltage spikes.
- Prevents blockages and build-ups.
- Fuel efficient.
- Low economy mode.
It maximises the lifespan of the generator by restricting blockages and build-ups in the fuel tank. Moreover, it limits total harmonic distortion to under 0.3% at no load and within 1.2% at a full load.
The product is lightweight and highly portable, making it easy to store and carry for all your camping trips.
It is ideal for sensitive products as it adjusts fuel consumption automatically. You can increase fuel efficiency by distributing the load and turning on the economy mode.
- Noise Level: 51 dBA
- Power: 2350 Watts
- Running Time: 10.5 hours
- Weight: 39 lbs
- Enhanced lifespan.
- Fuel efficient.
- Lightweight and compact.
- Economy mode.
- People had a bad experience with customer service.
Champion Power has come up with an inverter that is 20% lighter and 50% quieter than the conventional 4250 watts generators. It features an economy mode that helps to extend engine life, save fuel and increase operating hours.
It has a low noise level of 64 dBA, which is great for home backup, tailgating, and RVs. It features a starting voltage of 4250 watts and a running voltage of 3500 watts with a run time of 22 hours on gasoline.
This generator provides clean electricity, which is great for sensitive appliances. It can be used in parallel with other generators.
It has lower than 3% THD and has several outlets. The brand offers a warranty of 3 years.
- Noise Level: 64 dBA
- Power: 4250 Watts
- Running Time: 22 hours
- Weight: 75 lbs
- Featured economy mode.
- 22 hours runtime.
- Clean electricity.
- Lower than 3% THD.
- People had horrible experiences with after-sales customer service.
It has a quiet operation with a noise level of 53 dBA with a run time of 11.5 hours which is ideal for backup, tailgating and camping. It can be a parallel kit to double the output power.
This generator features 20A household outlets offering clean electricity with less than 3% THD. It is durable and safe with 100% copper wiring with heat-resistant and flame-resistant PVC sleeves.
It is compact and lightweight, which makes it portable and easy to store. The grip handle makes it even easier to carry.
- Noise Level: 53 dBA
- Power: 2500 Watts
- Running Time: 11.5 hours
- Weight: 40 lbs
- Low noise level.
- Lower 3% THD.
- Flame-resistant PVC sleeve.
- Some people felt that it had a bad design.
It features optimal portability with its lightweight and compact design. On top of that, it has an OHV engine 4-stroke which makes it powerful in times of emergency and camping.
The generator can be used in parallel with other generators to maximise power output with a larger unit and without any hassle.
The handle featured in the unit enhances the portability. It offers a warranty of 1 year.
- Noise Level: 59 dBA
- Power: 2300 Watts
- Running Time: 6 hours
- Weight: 48 lbs
- 59 dBA noise level.
- Can be used in parallel with other generators.
- Enhanced portability.
- Lightweight design.
It is ideal for camping, job sites and residential use. Also, the generator can be powered by propane or gasoline. At the noise level of 62 dBA, it is very quiet. With the “low idle mode”, it maximises fuel efficiency.
The CO detection technology automatically shuts off the system with unsafe carbon levels. It is perfect for sensitive appliances with lower than 3% THD.
It comes with a telescopic rod with two wheels, making it highly portable and easy to store.
- Noise Level: 62 dBA
- Power: 6000 Watts
- Running Time: 8.5 hours
- Weight: 117.9 lbs
- Fuel capacity of 3.6 gallons.
- Low idle mode.
- CO detection technology.
- Easily portable.
- People had issues finding spare parts.
Things To Consider When Choosing The Quietest Generator
When you are looking for quiet generators, picking out the best one can be very daunting. We have listed some basic considerations that will help you choose the best generator.
1. Noise Level
When talking about the noise level for any generator, we often see the units as dBA. dBA is the abbreviated form of decibels, the unit for measuring sound. The decibel level of any person breathing is 10 dBA while two people having a conversation account for 50 dBA. So, anything between 50-60 dBA should be considered good for a generator.
The lower decibel count is better but if you are using the generator on your own property, you can go some decibels up for other features.
The noise level of the quiet generators should be around 50-60 dBA. You need to compare the noise level of different models and then go for the one which is best suited for your home.
The generator can go under stress if it features insufficient power. On the other hand, more power is expensive and will not be used regularly. You need to calculate the watts of all items or appliances that you wish to use with the generator. One of the major things to remember is the power appliances and the increased power it consumes.
3. Running Time
The running time of the generators is the amount of time it can work on a single fuel tank capacity. Most generators can run anytime between 6 hours to 16 hours. So, if your choice has a running time between 9 hours to 12 hours, you are good to go. More running time enables the user to be away from the generator longer.
4. Fuel Capacity
Many users worry about the fuel capacity as they do not want to check on the generator often. They do not want to fill the generator after just a few hours of use, so the basic idea is to consume less fuel and offer more power.
Fuel efficiency is a major benefit for most generators so you need not be concerned about the fuel capacity. However, you should choose the fuel capacity based on your requirements and usage.
If you use your generator periodically then a small tank would also suffice. If running regularly, the large tank will help you go for a long time without refilling.
5. Number of Outlets
You should look for generators with at least four or more outlets so that the wattage can be used by spreading the load. Using the generators at times of need or when you are away at any travel location is suggested.
When buying the generator, it is a significant investment, so you should go for the one which will last long. A good factor to determine the durability of the generators is the warranty. The longer warranty period determines longer periods for durability.
We have listed some additional features that you can look for in generators.
- Low-CO Engine: These engines have guards which minimise the chances of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Auto Start: This is highly beneficial if you are away for work or travelling a lot. When the power cuts, this technology enables the generator to start automatically.
- Electric Start: This is a modern alternative to the pull-start conventional feature. It is easier and much less of a hassle.
- Alternate Fuel Capacity: Most generators run on gasoline but it is better to have alternate fuel tanks and the technology for the generator to run on natural gas or propane.
- Fuel Gauge: This is highly beneficial during long power cuts, it enables you to check how much fuel is remaining in the portable generator.
- Low-oil Auto Shut Off: If the fuel is below the minimum levels, the generator should have the feature to turn it off to prevent any damage to the engine.
Quietest Generators – FAQs
Ans: The inverter generators are the quietest. They have a noise range below or a little above 60 dBA.
Ans: The inverter generators are manufactured to be quieter than the conventional generators. They feature sound-dampening technology and special mufflers for low noise levels.
Ans: The brands bring the quietest generators- Westinghouse, Honda, and WEN.
Ans: To reduce the generator’s sound, you can install ceiling tiles or acoustic wall panels.
With this guide at your disposal, choosing the best quietest generators will be like a walk in the park. We have listed all the criteria you need to know to buy the quietest generators. Therefore, you must apply these considerations when buying the quietest generators. You can write to us in the comments section below if you still have doubts.
- If you are here for the recommendations, we have listed the top three favourites from the list. The first recommendation for the best overall product is Westinghouse Quietest Generator. It is fuel efficient and is suitable for sensitive appliances.
- The second suggestion from the list is Honda Quietest Generator. It is a premium-quality generator with extremely low noise level.
- The third and final product is WEN Quietest Generator. It prevents blockages and build-up and is fuel efficient.